Friday, October 10, 2008

{10.10.2008} Friday Melange

So this is the end of the 2nd week of of our re>rooted lives in Chicago. What a difference! To highlight the developments of our transition, here are a few key details:
  1. We are not alone. We moved into my parents' house in Wheaton and after 7 years of marriage and living in our own place, there are quite a few differences here. For one thing, we have a dog here (Mandy), who I swear is being treated better than Jayne or I have ever been treated! =) The dog is loved, but it's still a dog. There are times when she gets too excited to see one of us and takes a leak on the floor...we thought we were done with potty training! She also is a beggar...she sits and waits for the scraps to fall off Isabelle's plate. Anyway, watch for more updates on the adventures in the Abraham household.
  2. Its a long drive. I average 75 miles a day now driving back and forth from Wheaton to Chicago. On average it takes about 50 minutes to get from point A to point B. Some of you have heard me talk about the 15 minute commute we had in Bloomington...oh, how much I took that for granted! When it rains here, oh my gosh. I forgot how plain stupid people become. It took me one and a half hours to go 24 miles this past Wednesday evening. Some people apparently think the rain is a cause for stupidity and it causes us sane people to sit in our cars for hours on end.
  3. Working in Chicago is definitely eye opening for me. As a suburb kid, while I lived in the Chicago area, my jobs were always in the suburbs. The office I now work out of is in one of Chicago's neighborhoods (Lincoln Square). For lunch, I walk to one of the local joints instead of driving somewhere. I'm getting used to the thousands of cars, cabs and the busses, and actually paying attention to the "Do Not Walk" signs. I've seen a wide assortment of human beings, not so human beings and pigeons. Its been a fun 2 weeks so far, and I'm looking forward to more.
That's it for this Friday. Sorry for missing last week...I was thinking of doing a post about the economy, but decided that the news was too dreary. The news continues to get worse, but I figured that after 2 weeks, I could post about something lighthearted and mundane.

Last couple of items>
  • Looking forward to a fun weekend coming up, we get a chance to spend time with some friends that we have missed...
  • Susan heads back to Bloomington for a couple of days to get some work done there and she's taking Isabelle with. So that leaves me with my parents for a couple of evenings...good political conversations with my ultra liberal dad. Should be good times. Pray for both of us.
  • 10/18 is the last wedding we have the privilege of attending this year...
  • Oh...and my head is still shaved. Yeah boy.

No comments: