Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Holiday Challenge

I'm a regular reader of Carlos Whitaker (ragamuffinsoul.com) and one of his recent posts really intrigued me. As some of you may know, I'm into challenges...weight loss competitions really get me going, not to mention the prize money. Earlier this year (January to March), I lost a significant amount of weight. I had a commitment & challenged myself to create a healthy habit. Well, I created a healthy habit for 90 days, but after that, I made excuses to myself and fell off the proverbial wagon. My thoughts were, I can lose the weight real fast - let me have that donut with my sugar-laden coffee. For me, without the challenge or competition aspect, I really lose focus and find myself getting back into bad habits (starbucks drinks, over indulgence at the dinner table, desserts of all sorts, losing focus on God, losing focus on my wife and kids).

Well, Carlos, laid it out there for me and I intend to use this last month of the year to focus on three benchmarks (physical, spiritual and relational), and carry it forward into 2010.

You heard about that worship leader getting drunk that night and rolled your eyes…
That pastor who has been flirting with his secretary makes you nauseous…
You can’t believe they let their kids get away with that…

All the while, from Thanksgiving to New Years, you live the most hypocritical life imaginable.
You stuff your face with food till you can’t walk, multiple times, and gain some lbs. in the process.
You let your serving God replace your knowing God.
You ignore your family because you are too busy volunteering and helping someone else.

I see no difference between the first list and the second list.
So let’s stop using the holidays as an excuse to stop being healthy.
Let’s kick off this season with 30 days of physical, spiritual, and emotional health.
My three goals:
1. Physical - lose 10 pounds this month
2. Spiritual - memorize 2 verses per week, I'm planning on focusing on these, affecting my life now:
John 16:33, 2 Tim 1:7, Psalm 55:22, Isaiah 41:10, Proverbs 13:11, Luke 16:10, 2 Corinthians 9:8, Philippians 4:6
3. Relational - (admittedly, stolen/borrowed from Carlos) - go on 2 dates with my wife and daughter, each.

Twice a week I intend to update you all via this blog and/or twitter on my progress. Intrigued?

Ready? Set. Go. Here's to a tremendous December.
Jason

No comments: